HAVING BOLDNESS TO ENTER INTO THE HOLY OF HOLIES
To come boldly unto the throne of grace is the admonition of Hebrews 4:16, Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Boldness = freedom in speaking, without ambiguity or circumlocution (beating around the bush), free and fearless confidence, cheerful courage. Let us examine what the Lord is telling here to see our position in Christ and its benefits.
I. LIBERTY TO ENTER THROUGH CHRIST.
A. To come BOLDLY, Ephesians 3:12, “In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.”
1. We have free access through Christ, Romans 5:2, “By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.”
2. We have confidence to enter, Ephesians 3:12, “In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.”
B. To come BOLDLY to obtain mercy, Ephesians 2:4-5, “But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)”
1. His mercy is shown through His great love, Psalm 145:8, “The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.”
2. His mercy is demonstrated in that we obtained mercy, 1 Timothy 1:13, “Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.”
C. To come BOLDLY to find grace to help.
1. It was the grace of God that led us to salvation by faith in Christ, Ephesians 2:8, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:”
2. It is by grace that we are justified, Romans 3:24, “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:”
3. We are admonished to grow in grace, 2 Peter 3:18, “But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.”
II. LET US DRAW NEAR…
A. With a true heart, Hebrews 10:22, “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.”
B. In full assurance of faith, James 1:6, “But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.”
1. Here is where our confidence becomes evident – in prayer before the Lord.
2. Here the confidence of our heart is manifested in our treatment of our brethren, 1 John 3:18, “My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. 19-And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.”
III. LET US HOLD FAST OUR PROFESSION.
A. Without wavering, Hebrews 4:14, “Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.”
B. Hold fast so as not to lose your reward, Revelation 3:11, “Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.”
1. Faithful service in God’s house, Hebrews 10:25, “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”
2. Faithful before a great cloud of witnesses, Hebrews 12:1, “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,”
C. Let us consider one another, Hebrews 10:24, “And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:”
1. To PROVOKE (to stimulate, spur on, urge) one another TO LOVE, Hebrews 6:10, “For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.”
2. To PROVOKE one another to GOOD WORKS, Titus 3:13, “And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.”
3. Boldness to enter into the very presence of our God and Saviour is ours by faith in Jesus Christ.
4. We have the liberty to enter into the Holy of Holies by the blood of Jesus Christ. Therefore we are admonished to come freely to obtain mercy and grace to help in time of need.
Incoming search terms:
- sermon on hebrews 10:19-31